Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Anniversary

On the 19th September 2003 Lisa and I moved in to our current home from our one-bedroomed flat in Riccall. Eleanor was known as 'Peppercorn' at this time and I remember that we were really looking forwards to meeting her. Moving was virtually stress free on the day as we had paid Pickfords to come and pack for us...this is my Top Tip for anyone moving; it means you are not falling over packing boxes for weeks beforehand.

To be honest the anniversary has been tinged with sadness too. My father died of bowel cancer just a few weeks after we moved. He was only 48 and the injustice of it still hurts :(

Still, he did come and spend our first weekend in our new home with us and he told my mother that he felt more prepared to die knowing that I was okay and that Peppercorn was coming along nicely.

I am sad that Dad did not get to meet Eleanor and watch her grow up. But we are striving to ensure that he is still a presence in her life and this leads me to recall many good, happy memories, rather than the sadness of his passing.

Over the past three years I have also come to realise that he would have probably struggled with the aging process. He departed life at a time when most things in his life were positive. Whilst this seems tragic I know that he drew strength from seeing me married, having a career, expecting a child etc. He was also at the peak of his own career and was proud of his job. His biggest regret was leaving mum.

I miss him and always will. That he visited our new home has made it feel more like 'home' to me and I am glad of the precious memories I have of him being in this house.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Social Work Dad,
Think your posting is beautiful. You are so right in your thoughts about your Dad. We remember him as a strong, intelligent and forceful personality who made a greatly positive impression on us all. This image we have will never change and we can see some of his strength and nature in little Eleanor. He will always be with us.

Also, you yourself have many of his qualities plus the creativity of your Mum. You, too, are a very special and caring person. I am proud to have you as a Son-in-law!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home