Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Contentment at Work

I realised today that, despite all its problems and the huge amounts of reports I seem to be writing lately, I actually like my job. This may not sound earth-shattering but I have had jobs which I detested....so this feels like a marked improvement.

During brain-idling time today I came up with a way of monitoring one's contentment in the workplace:

If you are looking forward, hugely, to a distant bank holiday giving you a three-day weekend then you are probably happy at work.

If you are desperately looking forward to the one week of annual leave you have coming up in a month or so then you are probably not all together happy.

If you cannot wait for the upcoming weekend to give you a break from the stresses of work then you are not happy.

If you are eagre for the day to end so that you can escape from the hell that is paid employment then something is wrong.

If you are clock-watching for your lunchbreak to give you a chance to escape for an hour then you need to talk with your manager.

If you hope that you will be involved in a road traffic accident as you drive to work in the morning thus hospitalising you...then its time to find a new job!

(I actually endured the latter for ten months before making a change....it wasn't until I told Lisa about it that I realised just how unhappy I was!).

1 Comments:

At 2:03 AM, Blogger Jackson Pope said...

I hate my job - and I hated the last one when I left it (without anything to go to). I'm thinking of giving up software development - but I don't know what to do instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home