Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

That was the week that was....part 2

To continue on the theme of good things about my week….

4 On Monday evenings I routinely host a Games Night. My friends Andy, Spencer, Greg and Vin (and a new friend Jack) descend on our house, and play games whilst munching tortilla chips and pretzels and drinking (some beer but mainly squash with crushed ice from our fabulous freezer…which I love in a genuine, warm sort of way!). This week only Andy and Jack could make it. I persuaded Lisa to join in rather than tackle the EU Ironing Mountain. We played three games; Diamant, Masons, and Guillotine. None of us had played the latter and only Lisa and I had played the other two. We had a great time (for more info see Jack’s blog: ‘Creation and Play’). To be honest I enjoy being the host as much as playing the games (and so I don’t get upset if I lose….which I frequently do). After years spent as a loner I am starting to realise that I am actually quite sociable. I enjoy interacting. I also do enjoy playing games. I also enjoy that Lisa enjoyed herself…and won Diamant. It was a great evening. And Andy brought some Fondant Fancies which I adore!

5 I work as a Forensic Social Worker in a medium-secure psychiatric hospital. On the whole I enjoy my job. However, a couple of weeks ago one of my patients absconded. Although he could potentially have posed a risk to certain people I have been more concerned about how he would cope in the big wide world, how he would fair without his anti-psychotic medication and what would happen if he encountered alcohol or cannabis. Upon returning to work on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday I discovered that the police had returned him on Saturday. He is fine and coped very well. My relief is tangible. Sadly, his view that he has demonstrated the ability to live independently is somewhat overshadowed by the fact that he absconded from a medium-secure unit whilst detained under the Mental Health Act. He doesn’t seem to have grasped this yet.

6 Lisa and I want to be Sharing Carers. What is this I hear you cry….well it is like offering respite foster care for very short periods such as an afternoon, a Saturday or the whole weekend. The children have medical or behavioural needs and their families need a break from caring for them. You are linked with a specific child who needs the service and the hope is that you then build a relationship with them whilst taking care of them. For Lisa and I it has seemed like a long journey. We registered our interest in doing it during August 2005. We then had to go through a thorough assessment process as if we were going to provide full foster care. We had to go on several training courses, including running all day Saturday, to prepare us. We’ve also had to attend courses covering paediatric first aid. We then had to be approved buy a panel of managers. This was all before we could be ‘matched’ with a child. The first two matches didn’t come to anything as the other parents were concerned about how their children may harm Ellie (she is such a delicate little thing!). We tried not to get huffy and maintain our perspective; if the parents were uncomfortable then they would not relax and enjoy the time they had without the caring role. But we did feel emotionally a bit raw. We really want to do this and it feels to have taken so long. Why do these parents not like us? However, last week we met the mum of a third child we are hoping to be successfully linked to. It went really well. We have arranged to meet up with her and her son in a few weeks. We’re so excited! Last Thursday evening we met with the nurse from the Sharing Care team who took us through the Health Care Plan and taught us how to administer emergency medication. It felt much more real and as if this part of our journey is nearing an end. I can’t wait to meet him.

So that’s a summary of the highlights of my week. Looking back it s certainly been busy!

Of course there have been less good things about the week….I have failed to be a good friend to Mal, I have only been to the gym once all week (slapped wrist!), I haven’t phoned my Mum (cardinal sin), I haven’t finished my two Carcassonne expansions and I have twice failed to ask Lisa if she wanted a drink when I was making one for myself. This latter has made me feel really selfish. (Lisa, I genuinely forgot to ask!)

Most importantly I don’t feel like I’ve spent much time with Ellie…I wonder when I can start teaching her chess?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home