Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Victim Statement

Whilst having lunch today I heard a victim statement read out by the mother of a young woman killed in a car crash. It is worth reading. I admit it made me cry a little hearing her read it out loud. Apparently the Judge cried in court when he heard it. The young driver who crashed into her was banned from driving when the accident occurred and so had no license or insurance. At the time he was speeding as he was late for a court appearance! He received a four year prison sentence.

I am glad that people do have the chance to say in Court how crime has affected them. I remain uncomfortable with the extent to which this could influence sentencing. This lady is clearly articulate and was able to organise her thoughts and feelings emotively and rationally. I often work with people who are too distraught to do this or who lack the ability to write articulately. Should there voices have any less impact?

1 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my favourite comedy shows has a sketch about this very thing from which I paraphrase.

"So, Mr. Smith, what do you think should happen to the person who is accused of killing your mother so violently."

"Well, I really am absolutely the last person you should ask because I cannot have any kind of objectivity on the matter..."

etc etc.

Why on earth should it matter who was killed or how much their relatives thought of them? If he runs over a well-loved young mum or an elderly person with no living relatives who won't be missed at all then the punishment should be the same. Victim statements just add another level of arbitrariness and emotion.

Steer

 

Post a Comment

<< Home