Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Read Recently

I have read more than usual recently, particularly whilst in hospital. I can't remember much of what I have read so I thought it would be useful for me to record my thoughts here.

Haruki Murakami - 'Sputnik Sweethearts'. Apparently Murakami is widely considered to be the finest living writer. Hmm. This was beautifully written but, ultimately, I missed the point. Still, I had previously tried to read 'Norwegian Wood' but gave up out of boredom after a few pages....maybe I should persevere.

Dan Brown - 'The Da Vinci Code'. Hmm. As a thriller this was competent, page-turning stuff. The whole Opus Dei conspiracy thing did nothing for me and its faux-intellectualism irritated me after awhile. Also, I couldn't help but laugh at the cocnept of a Knight of the Realm having the name 'Teabing'!

Jasper Fforde - 'Lost in a Good Book', 'Something Rotten' and 'The Well of Lost Plots'. I loved 'The Eyre Affair' and so wanted to like this trilogy. Unfortunately it was a typical trilogy; the first volume left everything hanging; the second one was darker but patchy; the third did round it all off but rather unsatisfactorily. I think two good novels could have been achieved though if all the filler were removed. Still, truly original and a great concept.

Terry Pratchett - 'Going Postal' and 'Thud!'. Both great, read them before, love Pratchett, even if his books are not as 'clever' as they always appears to be at first.

Terry Pratchett - 'Wintersmith'. Thanks to Cara for this early birthday present. I really enjoyed this, as I knew I would. I don't remember much of it but will be rereading it soon!

Bernard Cornwell - 'Harlequin'. Adventure set during the Hundred Years War. I'd never read any Cornwell before and can't face Sharpe! I actually rather enjoyed this. Its view of life for a medieval longbowmen seemed well-researched and very 'human'. The plot (first in a trilogy... again!) was less convincing. Writing style was fluid and, I have to admit, gripping. I may seek out volume two!

Susanna Clarke - 'Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell'. I am currently reading volume three of this trilogy (another one!) and I am enjoying it. I can't remember all of it but hey! I don't care! It's fun. It's silly and its holding my attention. How would the Georgian world have been if magic was alive and well? Waterloo with ghostly hands dragging dragoons into the earth....parallel worlds accessed through mirrors...its great! Downside is boringly acadamic-style footnotes. Thank you Steer for this one!

I have also read many graphic novels and comic strip compilations (brilliant when your brain isn't doing all that it should!). Of particular note is the adventures of Iznogoud the Grand Vizier. These four volumes by Gosciny and Tabary are reminiscent of Asterix...by Goscinny and Uderzo...so that's hardly surprising! Tere is even a brief Asterix reference in one of them! Thanks go to Mal for lending me these rare books.

2 Comments:

At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, of those I think Sputnik Sweetheart is my favourite by some way. It's just so very beautiful, though I have not read Harlequin or The Da Vinci Code. I have a few graphic novels you could borrow if you wish -- Watchmen, V for Vendetta and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

 
At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops -- that was me, Steer. I always forget to sign these things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home