Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Strange things to get excited about...

  1. We need a replacement tool for our Dyson vacuum. It's a 'stair tool' which I accidentally broke yesterday. I love it. It does it's job perfectly. I've now discovered that I can't vacuum the stairs satisfyingly without it. The exciting thing is that I had a look at the Dyson website to see if it was replaceable. I found a pleasantly easy to use site in which every single part of a vacuum can be purchased! The stair tool will set us back £9 (+ £2 P&P), but.... I really can't live without it!
  2. There is a game I am keen to play called Pirates of the Spanish Main. It's a sort of collectable game in which you buy a pack for £2.50-£3 which contains some cards and a few model ships. You then use multiple sets to build fleets etc and play the game. I was advised that really you need at least six sets to have a decent game. Now, I am not allowed to buy any games until at least 2008 so this is something of a moot point but....a couple of stores are selling packs via the Amazon Marketplace; basic packs for 99p and the second series packs (Pirates of the Crimson Coast) for only 1p. Admittedly there is a £3.50 per order charge for P&P but still....that's incredible! For anyone reading...my birthday is in November....!
  3. I have found some printable do-it-yourself little boxes to hold all the tiles in for my favourite game, Carcassonne. I haven't made them yet but they look great. Of course, they were on Boardgamegeek...where else? I am always strangely excited that not only is there an international community of boardgamers but that many of them put in a lot of time making things like these boxes, or translating rules, or making up expansions and then post them on the internet for others to enjoy for free! It gives me hope that the world is actually not all that bad....

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I broke my stair tool and got a replacement on ebay for much less than the Dyson people quoted, if that helps.

Patrick x

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Jackson Pope said...

I can lend you/play Pirates with you - I've got a few, plenty for both of us to play with.

Cheers,

Jack

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger Social Work Dad said...

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the advice; we can get the stair tool for a fiver (+p&p) so that's quite a saving. At present we're tryong asuperglue repair. Hhmmm....

 
At 5:19 AM, Blogger Social Work Dad said...

Hello Jack

I would love to borrow/plar Pirates! I have no idea why, but I find the idea of this game really exciting!

See you soon,
Paul

 

Post a Comment

<< Home