Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Friday, June 22, 2007

Father's Day

As you may know, last Sunday was Father's Day. In recent years this has been a quietly sad day for me as I tend to think about my father who passed away far too early. Having Ellie and becoming a father myself somehow intensified this sadness; I think because my father didn't get to meet Ellie.

However, this year Ellie was completely aware that there is a special day for daddies. For some reason this excited her tremendously and her excitement was incredibly infectious! Mummy helped her make a beautiful card and she was part of an ever-widening conspiracy to give me a boardgame as a gift. For the days leading up to the special day she could barely contain her excitement. She revealed to me that I was getting a game called "number five". (It turned out it was copy 5 of 300 of the game Jack has just published, It's Alive!)

Ellie was really excited about bringing me breakfast in bed... and she insisted on helping me eat it! She gave me hugs and kisses frequently throughout the day unprompted! All in all we had a lovely, relaxed, loving day.

I toasteds my father quietly and privately and I still lament his much too early deaparture. But this year it was a day of gladness, not sadness; a day for me and my daughter, who my father would have adored.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Custancia said...

Now we just need to explain to Ellie that there *isn't* an Ellie day as such!

 
At 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find Mothers Day very difficult for similar reasons. The Mothering Sunday in church is particularly poignant as it is full of Mum's and daughter's. This year I managed to get most of the way through it without crying. The kids do help in distracting me but it doesn't mean that I don't miss her each and every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home