Out of the Games Cupboard

A random assortment of reflections, musings and a running commentary on life.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Thoughts for the week

1 - I'm going to need some new scalpel blades. Lisa's parents and my sister in law, Cara, came to visit us. They brought my birthday presents (thanks you guys!). Cara, being a fellow Discworld- enthusiast (although I am a mere neophyte compared to her) gave me a copy of The Unseen University Cut-Out Book. From this I can assemble a model of the said building as described in Terry Pratchett's novel. It looks to be a stunning achievement, turning it into a buildable cardboard model. It will be even more of an achievement if I finish it! It is surprisingly intricate, hence the need for scalpel blades.

2 - Parents - a funny bunch. Ellie is going to be an angel in her upcoming Nativity Play. She is excited about this. Given that all the kids are pre-school aged I was stunned to discover that some parents had complained that their children don't have 'starring roles'! They're not even five! Nursery staff had tried to be equitable and cast children who will be starting school soon in the lead roles. This seems fair to me.

3 - I love Waterstones. Whilst I tend to prefer online book shopping it was lovely to go into a shop, talk to a person, explain a little bit about the person I need a book for and for them to rattle off a list of suitable titles. I bought two as I was spoiled for choice. (Also, they didn't have a book I wanted for someone else and they recommended suitable alternatives).

4 - I love Waterstones....but for a different reason. They are selling Carcassonne and Settlers of Catan; 2 of my favourite boardgames (although I don't own a copy of the latter....£24.99 at ...well...you work it out....hint hint!). Are we finally breaking into the mainstream?

5 - Finding socks in a ballpool is much easier than finding the proverbial needle in a haystack! Thank you Evie :)

6 - I love the City of York online Library Service. I have renewed my library books from just where I'm sitting now. I've also reserved some more books....including one the Library Serivce hasn't purchased yet! How cool is that?

7 - If you see the same GP often in a short space of time then its a bit like 'family GPs' were years ago; you really can build up a relationship. Much nicer than seeing a different doctor each time you go.

8 - I've finished making Christmas cards. Admittedly this is later than I had hoped but... at least they are done! Just got to write in them, address them and actually get around to posting them.

9 - Having just watched highlights from a 2005 concert in Milan by U2 I was reminded that hearing their music is still about the closest I get to a religious experience. Nice to be reminded. I then watched them being interviewed and thought: "I wish they were my friends!". I'm such a would-be groupie!

10 - Ellie is so excited about Christmas and its rubbing off on me! I am looking forward to playing with her toy castle with her more than is reasonable for an adult. To be honest I just want to play with it...her presence is not strictly required!

11- Finally.... I have been reminded that we have nice friends. Be it Mal, Francesca (Stuntmother), Patrick and Stuart, Maisy and Henry, the guys who come gaming on a Monday night (Andy, Spencer, Greg, Vin, Jack), Tracy and Evie, Steer,Lisa S, Richard and Emma,Whit, Jason, Annette and Elen. I really like these people, enjoy their company and feel truly supported by them; something I really need at present.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home